2022 January. The Scientific 7-minute workout.
January is a hard month to reflect on. I've done some reading, but I was working a lot as well. But, I've managed to keep my commitment to light exercise each day so far, which is rewarding.
New Posts #
How to create a simple redirect from Blogspot to your new blog
My notes on Interoception
Can you treat trauma by better sensing your body?
Book review of The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma.
Books I'm reading #
- The Programmer's Brain by Felienne Hermans. I'm reading it at work, and three chapters so far were pretty interesting.
- Designing Your New Work-Life: How to Thrive and Change and Find Happiness and a New Freedom at Work by Bill Burnett, Dave Evans. I heard about this book in a podcast and wanted to learn about design thinking in practice from it. I have mixed feelings so far.
- Kings of the Wyld (The Band #1) by Nicholas Eames. I've seen some positive reviews and wanted something nice and easy to read. It's nice and easy, but there is something in style it's written with that's not working for me. I've just started it.
Books I've read #
- Book review of The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- The Friend by Sigrid Nunez. I was looking for something lightweight to read. I'm not sure how this book landed on any such list. It was an interesting meta book about writing books, but I'm not sure about recommending it.
- Toki Pona: The Language of Good by Sonja Lang. A quick and easy intro to the toki pona language.
- The Anomaly by Hervé Le Tellier. It was ok.
Elsewhere on the Web #
Why You Should Repeat Yourself, A Lot by Tomasz Tunguz
Common Programmer Health Problems By Zed A. Shaw.
The Dunning-Kruger Effect Is Probably Not Real
The darling of those who wish to explain why incompetent people don't know they're unskilled, the Dunning-Kruger effect may actually just be a data artefact.
What do executives do, anyway?
To paraphrase the book, the job of an executive is: to define and enforce culture and values for their whole organization, and to ratify good decisions.
The SPACE of Developer Productivity
Far too often teams or managers attempt to measure developer productivity with simple metrics, attempting to capture it all with "one metric that matters."
- Satisfaction and well-being
- Communication and collaboration
- Efficiency and flow
I Think I Know Why You Can't Hire Engineers Right Now
Technology -> Cool Stuff to Work On
Intellection -> Smart People to Work With
Certainty -> Repeatability in Work Environment
Instagram is about two things: Bodies and comparing lifestyles
Some books on my backlog #
I'm early on the three books I'm reading at the moment, but I'm looking at some graphic novels and art books at the moment. Not sure what, when, and if anything comes from it.
You can subscribe to my monthly posts at kula.blog/newsletter
Feedback or Comments?
Want to learn more?
Sign up to get a digest of my articles and interesting links via email every month.