Book Review: Influence by Robert B. Cialdini
I published a new review on Medium.com: https://medium.com/@krzychukula/book-review-influence-by-robert-b-cialdini-f4575b6786a4#.55i8vpylc
TLDR; I highly recommend it.
This is one of the best books about psychology I’ve read. Chapters are mostly self contained and short which is helpful if you’re reading during commute. I have enjoyed stories from author’s personal life and how various tools were used on him, they make the book both memorable and funny. I feel that I learned much more than after reading “Thinking Fast & Slow” that everyone else seems to recommend.
Table of contents:
- “Weapons of Influence” — introduction.
- “Reciprocation: The Old Give and Take…and Take”: Beware of free samples. They are designed to make us think that we owe something to the giver.
- “Commitment and Consistency: Hobgoblins of the Mind”: It’s very effective to raise the praise after you have decided to buy something — you’re likely to stick to your decision. The same goes for every other statement eg. someone asking you if you support killing animals just to take more money from you.
- “Social Proof: Truths Are Us”: Be mindful that you might do things only because other people are doing it.
- “Liking: The Friendly Thief”: Physical attractiveness makes us more likely to like someone, and if we like someone we’re more likely to buy. The same goes if your friend or acquaintance is selling something.
- “Authority: Directed Deference”: Obedience to the boss or even police should not be absolute. Fake police or just different agenda that what is best for you and others.
- “Scarcity: The Rule of the Few”: I fave fall pray to this one myself more than I can count. If someone says that the offer is only available today, or that it’s the last thing — most likely it’s a trap to fool you. Note to myself: Run away! :)
All in all the book is great and if you are interested in selling anything or how to counter selling tricks — this is a must read.
Feedback or Comments?
Want to learn more?
Sign up to get a digest of my articles and interesting links via email every month.